Tuesday, October 12, 2010

First Post

Alright, so I've been talked into starting a blog by my roommate.  I've toiled over what I should write about, and eventually settled on writing about what's happening in the technical world.  I know this is really broad, but I think that's going to be necessary for someone like me to keep this going.  I'll go through a phase where I'm really interested one thing, and a couple months later I'll be obsessed with something else.

Right now it's phones.  Smartphones to be more specific.  I find the industry to be captivating.  I've been following the market basically since the original iPhone came out.  I think it's one of the few topics that I can somewhat predict based on market trends I've witnessed myself.

Another phase I'll probably go through again is video.  I love video editing, and I'll go through phases where I'll watch a ridiculous amount of video, trying to teach myself new tricks.  If I'm still doing this at that time, I'll probably post a bunch of video's showcasing some random technology or video trick.

I don't know how much I'll actually post here.  I could see myself getting addicted to it and posting a lot one week, and then getting bogged down and hardly posting anything on another week.  We'll just have to see.

I'll end this first post with some big news in the tech world.  Microsoft announced the new Windows Phone 7 mobile OS today.  It looks like it's actually going to be a different mobile experience than what Apple, Google, and RIM are currently offering.  At first glance though, it doesn't really look like there is very much in terms of new features.  In fact, it's missing quite a bit of features that should be standard on any mobile OS nowadays, such as copy and paste and multitasking.



Microsoft is coming in on an extremely competitive, saturated market, and they're late in the game.  If they can't differentiate themselves from the more mature OS's out there, they are going to have a difficult time surviving.  One thing Microsoft does have is the money to back a massive marketing campaign, and business partners already set up from the old Windows Mobile days.  With companies like HTC and Samsung making hardware, they will have some highly competitive phones out in time for this Christmas season.

Alright, well I'll try to keep my posts shorter in the future.  It already looks like I can bore people with writing just as easily as I can with talking.  Thanks for reading, and comments are definitely encouraged (for both of you reading this).

No comments: